Always wondering what to do with the left over Pumpkin, well here is great recipe from our Chef Jane on how to make the perfect Pumpkin Pie. Have a go its delicious Recipe Sweet pastry – 170g plain flour – pinch salt – 85g unsalted butter (soft) – 3 egg yolks – 85g caster sugar – 1\2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Cream the sugar and butter, then add lightly whisked egg yolk, vanilla essence and salt and mix.
4. Incorporate the mixture together with your hand until the paste is smooth but be careful not to over handle it. It will be quite wet but will firm up in the fridge when you rest it.
5. Then wrap the paste in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
6. Once the pastry has rested roll it on a floured surface and line a well greased tart tin. Lift the pastry on a rolling pin to prevent splitting and make sure it is pushed into all the corners of the tin so it fits snugly. Don’t worry if it breaks, you can patch it up in the tin by pressing an excess piece of pastry over the split and sealing by applying pressure.
7. Roll the pin over the top of the tart tin to trim the excess and then place the tins in the freezer to completely chill (but not freeze).
8. Line the tart tins with baking parchment and baking beans or uncooked rice and bake blind for 10 mins, then remove the beans and bake for a further 15 mins.
The pastry is ready when it is golden brown and crisp to touch.
Pumpkin Pie -
500g pumpkin (flesh, diced) -
130 grams light brown muscovado sugar -
½ teaspoon ground ginger -
½ teaspoon mixed spice -
½ teaspoon cinnamon -
3 eggs -
150 ml double cream
1. Place the diced pumpkin in a pan with a splash of water, cover with lid and cook on low heat until completely soft. Leave to cool.
2. In a blender add the cooled pumpkin flesh, sugar, spices, eggs and cream and blitz together until you have a thick, smooth liquid.
3. Pour into the tart cases until full and carefully place into your oven to bake on 180C for between 30 and 40 mins, or until the tart has completely set (ie the mixture has stopped wobbling).
4. Cool on a baking rack and the chill in the fridge until ready for serving. Happy Autumn!